Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

There's more than Manhattan!

I have noticed that majority of my posts focus specifically on the borough of Manhattan. I want to briefly give a overview of the other boroughs of NYC.

Brooklyn: Brooklyn is located in Kings county, across the water from the lower east side of Manhattan. Brooklyn has a population of about 2.5 million. Brooklyn is bigger than Manhattan in terms of square miles. There are many different neighborhoods in this borough just like in Manhattan. I am not familiar with these neighborhoods though. The ones I do know of is Coney Island, Bensonhurst, and Redhook. When most people think of Coney Island, they think of a amusement park. This is not entirely a wrong image, however is not 100% correct either. Coney Island is a neighborhood that contains several amusement parks. This is located near the water, and in my opinion is very similar to the Jersey Shore. This is not a very safe neighborhood. Redhook is also not a safe place to be, however it is where they filmed a season of The Real World. Bensonhurst is more of a residential/shopping place. I have a friend who lives there, and he has said to me it is a pretty good neighborhood. Therefore, I would not feel uneasy walking around there by myself.

Queens: I have never visited Queens NY. The only thing I can say about Queens is it is where LaGuardia International Airport is located.  From what I heard about it from friends, and from what I have seen on TV is very similar to Brooklyn, in terms of appearance and population per mile. It has good parts, and bad parts just like any city.

The Bronx: In my opinion, not a great neighborhood. The main thing I can say about the Bronx is that it is home of Yankee Stadium. So, if you ever go and plan on attending a game, you will be entering the Bronx to watch the game. The stadium is located very close to the Manhattan border, therefore I think if you are careful and go with multiple people, I would see no need to fear.There is also a zoo in the Bronx, if you are wanting a fun family attraction to visit.

Staten Island: This borough is located very close to New Jersey. I have never been to Staten Island, however from what I have been told it is the closest to Midwest living. By that I mean, it seems to have more amenities as we do in the Midwest. Jersey Shore star, Vinny is from Staten Island, as well as previous reality star Angelina.

Manhattan: I am not going to describe Manhattan because I could go on and on, and majority of my posts focus on Manhattan. I will tell you, that of all the 5 boroughs, Manhattan is it's own little world. The stores are different, and typically more upscale. For example, you will not find a Target in Manhattan. If you want to visit store similar to that you will need to check out other boroughs. I know for a fact that there is a Target in Brooklyn near Brooklyn CUNY. 

*photo courtesy of nytourist.com 




No comments:

Post a Comment